Sunday, March 22, 2009

Quite the Start

We got off to quite the start on Friday.
  • Parent teacher conferences. Trey is a stud. Michelle has done such an amazing job with him. (brag alert) Trey is reading at a 2nd grade level, has moved on to understanding concepts, and has really improved his focus. Michelle works really hard with him and fights the battles to get him to stick with the frustrating stuff...totally showing results. Even better though, his teacher says he is really loving, a good friend, obedient (for the most part...he's 6), is extremely responsive to correction, and is becoming very independent. Now that's the stuff you want to hear. Considering he is with Michelle 8x more than he is with me, it's totally unfair I get to hear all that in person.
  • Library: all about the globe and South Africa. Reading books and kickin' it. Hockey and fishing books become the obsession. (more on this later....)
  • To the park - after reviewing everything fly-fishing - going through all my flies, the reel, my vest and every pocket, we hit the park for some tuning. Fewer things are more important than a good fly cast for a boy/Warrior Poet. :) Other kids at the park thought they were "so cool". Trey actually got some good casts by himself. I didn't think to take pics until they were on their own spinning rods, but still pretty cool.














  • Star War Battle - swords and light sabers at the park. Hilarious! Teague continues to save me from his brothers by running around me putting up a "forrrrcefield". That's my guy.
  • New rule - sword fights on the ground only. The only thing worse than watching your 2 year old fall off the 2 foot ledge he was battling on...was watching him fall head first the next 5 feet off of the entire play structure. Scraped head, remarkably quick recovery, wants his light saber back....will not count as a "major" injury in the books.
  • Movie Night - what better way to kick off Braveheart Week than with a boys pajama movie night. Well, I guess we'll count this towards the Poet part. Taatjes begged to get this movie at the library...and they loved it. They were also amazed at how Dad could know the words to "Part of Your World." (I don't take the Poet part lightly, either.) What are you gonna do?


Before bed, we pray for Michelle, since she's about to wake up for her day.
Have I said how incredible my life is?!

3 comments:

Andrew said...

Another fantastic post. Thanks for keeping us all updated on your adventures. Inspiring stuff.

Chrissy said...

Thanks for the posts Belg. As a rookie blogger, I would say you are doing quite exceptional.

Totally love that after all of these boy activities you guys watched a Little Mermaid movie.

Glad that we don't have to miss what the Belg boys are doing while Michelle is away.

Lindylu said...

Loved reading this...I can;t believe I didn't find this till today....you are a great dad!