Sunday, March 22, 2009

Warrior Poets

Well....since I have attempted to imitate Michelle's life for a week (minus the responsibility) - I've decided to take over the blog, too. That's right...this is Justin...making my first foray into the ominous world of cataloging life for the planet to see. I prefer to think that only you intimate few are reading. I have had these entries running in my head since Thursday, when Michelle left, but it has taken me a few days to crack the login code for the blog, so I have some catching up to do. Here it goes:

The boys have been pumped for "Boys Week" and were slap-happy when I got home on Thursday. We dropped Michelle off at the airport around 4pm and took off for our week of adventure. I'd been thinking that Boys Week was a bit simple for what we are setting out to accomplish, so embarked on a more emblematic name. At dinner, I walked them through the concept of the Warrior Poet - describing the travails of William Wallace and the bravery he displayed in the fight for justice, as well as the development of his mind and heart as the embodiment of a true leader....thus we are now living out "Braveheart Week", complete with a manly battle cry as we seek to become Warrior Poets. (still selling them on the "Yawp"... source anyone?)

A few goals I will try to keep you updated on:
  • Keep the house in some reasonable order of cleanliness (using new dishes for meals will be one measure of how I do)
  • No "major" injuries...key word is "major".
  • Follow through on a promise to give them "vegetables" - whatever those are...sounds different than meat, though.
  • Change everyone's clothes a couple times (including mine). I try to think WWMD on letting them be seen in public with that stain.
Other Goals:
  • Build tons of memories - Have the best week ever!!
  • Play way more than we should. Eat more sugar than we should.
  • Develop the Warrior - have battles, rockets, zoos, fishing, hiking, wrestling....
  • Develop the Poet - Read lots of books (we have a 100 book limit at the library)
  • Develop a mindfulness of praying for Mom - what else, other than safety?
  • Love on each other like crazy - love on others like crazy.
A couple starting notes:
  • We almost made it an hour before for the boys decided it's more fun to be naked. Teague following suit, dancing with glee, asking "dad, can you take my diaper off so i can be naked?" It is hilarious how funny they find doing anything with no clothes on.
  • You know you're with Dad when they come up actually asking for my t-shirt to wipe their nose. (I have always found the effort for tissue a bit unnecessary.)
  • First order of business was to go junk food shopping. YoGos are the pinnacle of this food for them.
  • Nothing cooler than sitting with your 3 sons, eating pizza on a blanket, watching March Madness. What did I ever do to deserve such a ridiculously awesome life!?!? (nothing)
  • We've set a world clock to South Africa and are monitoring what Mom is doing. They can't believe how long she flew for. I have yet to remind them to pray, since Taatjes asks to pray for Mom about every 2 hours and everyone does. Love their hearts.
So clearly, I haven't mastered the art of the short blog (rookie). More to come, hopefully in smaller junkets. Also, Michelle is safely there and the team is doing well. I've only received that update so far.

No comments: